Thursday, July 31, 2008

What's in a name?

We had a couple names but decided Isaac was it. Isaac means “he laugheth”. He is named after the biblical Isaac, the firstborn of Sarah who was promised to her after her long wait for children. I feel like Isaac was promised to me in the temple. Blake and I had differing opinions about when we should start having kids. We talked about it and finally compromised that we could start having kids after Blake’s first year of medical school. When I started working after graduating, I just felt wrong about going to work. I wanted to be at home, having babies! I had a really hard time with it and would get particularly stressed about it on Sunday nights when I knew the next day was Monday and I had 5 long days of work ahead of me. So I prayed a lot about if our decision was right. Blake and I decided when we went to the temple that we would make it the focus of our prayers. While I was there in the celestial room, I just had an overwhelming feeling that the right time for us to have kids was after Blake’s first year of medical school. I particularly felt like we would have our first baby in June 2008.

My dates were off when we went to the doctor for the first time—I could have been due as soon as May 2. But the doctor said I looked like I was due at the end of May and set us up for an ultrasound, which confirmed that the due date was June 1. I had an additional confirmation as the technician told us the due date that this was the right time and this baby was meant for us!

His middle name is Joseph, after his father Blake Joseph, his maternal grandfather John Joseph, and his paternal grandfather, Kent Joseph.

Nicknames: Ike, Sir Isaac (Poor guy is doomed to be teased whenever there is that lesson about the apple and gravity in science class... But I was at the pediatricians the other day and they said they had another patient with the exact same name. So we are not the only mean parents subjecting their kid to potential nerd-dom.), Is (pronounced eyes, after our little friend Jillian who can’t quite get the –aac in.)

1 comment:

megan said...

We were going to do Isaac Jeremiah if it was a boy. Good thing we had our Hannah and you two could have Sir Isaac grace your family.