Wednesday, November 5, 2008

About my boys

Blake was published! He spent three years as an undergraduate/graduate student in a lab at the U and the research he did contributed to a paper in Nature magazine.

Life is not fair. I also sent in my graduate research to be published, now fully two years ago. It was rejected by one of the reviewers and given ten thousand comments by the other reviewer. I spent hours fixing up my paper with the help of my advisor and now it is under review again. It has been such a pain. And Blake didn’t have to do anything and now his paper is all pretty in a journal! OK, so actually I only spent one summer on my research and a couple months writing, so Blake collectively took more time on his. And between the two of us, I’d rather he was published. I don’t need to write a resume to our kids and list my publications in the Journal of Geotechnical Engineering so that they will hire me as their mom. But Blake’s publication will help for residency, etc. So fine. But I still wish my paper was published!

Blake also did research this summer and he just displayed a poster at the medical school. Isaac and I went to see it.


Isaac fell asleep on the way home.

Halloween was fun. Isaac was a dragon. It is hard to make costumes! I don’t know how people do it--this just about did me in. I don’t even know how many hours I wasted on it. My machine kept going crazy and I kept making mistakes. So I never actually finished it—notice the unfinished sleeves. But it was fun to dress Isaac up and go to our church’s trunk or treat. Isaac fell asleep right after we got there because it started at 6 PM, just about his bedtime. I guess he didn’t want any candy...


4 comments:

chris said...

hooray for blake! hooray for sir isaac! hooray for not writing resumes for childbearing!

seriously though, I am very jealous of the journal publication. good job.

Jenna said...

cute dragon--and yes, costumes are ridiculously hard. Not sure why we continue to put in unheard of hours of labor for a costume that gets worn once, but we do. And it is kind of fun...

Congrats to Blake as well. And Marie, you don't need a publication because we already know how brilliant you are.;)

megan said...

I second Jenna on your brilliant mind, Marie.

Shawnee said...

Good job, Blake! And Marie, good job for everything you do too! :)