Sunday, March 18, 2012

what's new with us

This is the time of year I love to be in St. Louis. Now and October. It was so warm this week. We were outside all the time. And when we were inside, the bike and trike were stashed in the entryway, waiting to be taken outside again. We've enjoyed playing with friends, going to the playground, digging in sand, etc.



James let our friend borrow his trike for a moment



Isaac is really good at riding his bike. He goes so fast he scares me sometimes. He balances really well and hardly ever falls. He will coast down hills and put his feet up on the little foot rest he has. I definitely recommend balance bikes--he loves it and has learned so fast.

I have never written this, mostly because it's depressing, partly because it's embarrassing. Isaac never really has been potty trained. I would have to tell him every 2 hours to go to the potty. If I didn't, he would pee his pants. Well, it has finally started to click. Nine months later, now that he's almost four. When I was out of town, he for the first time went to the potty all by himself. Now he pees his pants a lot less and he (sometimes) actually tells us when he has to go and sometimes he even goes to the potty and poops all without even telling us! It's not perfect, sometimes I still have to remind him, but he's doing so much better. Maybe my coming clean about this will help someone who actually reads this blog.

Isaac has got the big brother thing down. He is a huge tease and constantly goes to James and hugs him way too tight. He is pretty good at sharing but he needs to work on a gentle touch. He will squeeze James and then James will swat at him and Isaac will cry that James hit him. Oh please...

Somehow he has gotten into the concept of bad guys and always plays with his friends that he is going to get the bad guys. I made him a cape with a Mr. Incredible "I" on it (also "I" for Isaac) and he called himself Mr. Incredible Scary Guy. He also LOVES legos. I don't build cool enough things for him--he likes best to play with Daddy. Grandma just sent him a box of Blake's old legos which doubled his supply. Even James points to the legos and likes to find a car that Daddy's made and play "voom...". Of course, James pretty much just wants to do whatever Isaac does.


James still loves balls. If he only had one toy and it was a ball he would be perfectly happy. Actually, he likes variety in his balls. He will pick one up, throw it, then have to find another one. It's exciting to throw a bigger ball and then get a little bouncy ball and then a hackey sack. He likes to get on the stairs and throw the ball into the family room through the railings. Then I am supposed to get it and hand it to him. He likes throwing so much this has extended to everything else. Including legos, and mostly food. Whenever he's done, or even if he isn't, you can hear him saying "Boom!" and know he's throwing all the contents of his tray on the floor. Not just dropping them, throwing them with a pretty good projectile. Like landing in my lap several feet away. The poor carpet in my kitchen is hashed.

He keeps saying new words all the time. The latest are blueberry, done, car. This week he looked down the stairs and said "down". Of course his favorite words are still momom, dada, boom (which can mean throwing something or balloon), and ball. He also is quite fascinated by his animal books and likes to make the animal sounds. He is best at "neigh". almost any animal says it. Isaac never was very interested in animals so this is new to us.

So James has had a hard time this week sleeping at night, probably because he all of a sudden this week decided to switch to one nap. It is definitely about time, he's almost 17 months, but it was a quick switch. Last night he finally slept all night and I was SO MAD when Isaac woke up and cried at 3 AM: "I want to wake up...I want to wake up..."





Blake's been growing his hair out. How long can you go?







3 comments:

megan said...

I'm sorry it has been frustrating with Isaac's potty-training, but I know from several sources that he is still in the "normal" age range. Even though Hannah is "potty trained" she still has her issues. I still have to convince her to go potty even though she says she doesn't need to. She has sometimes had a slight accident and then changed her underwear without telling me. There is this statement from Dr. Sears that I have found helpful:

"There's one reminder for parents, when it comes to potty-training: As with all developmental milestones, toddlers take two steps forward and one step back. Expect regressions." (oh goody)

Sarah McK said...

Never thought Blake would go for the shag look! Logan would KILL for just a fraction of that hair! :) Your boys are getting so old and so cute! I love the pic of Isaac in that fabulous cape! Cal also loves bad guys and legos. Sure wish they lived closer!!!! And he has had some major backtracking on potty training too, so I think that's pretty normal. The excitement and visitors at Christmas screwed him over for quite some time. He seems to be back on track now. Phew. Last thing I want to deal with when Jade gets here! Love you!!

jeremiah said...

Marie, I have never told you this, mostly because it is depressing, partly because it is embarrassing, but I am not potty trained either. Megan has to tell me every two hours to go potty or I pee my pants. But I think it is starting to click. I pee my pants a lot less now. Last night I went to the potty and pooped without telling anyone! So I am doing much better. Maybe my coming clean about this will help someone who actually reads this blog.