Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Goodbye Larson

I'm officially unemployed today--I’ve decided not to return to work. It was a hard decision when it came down to it. I have loved my job here in St. Louis. It was a young, fun office with great people and opportunities. I’m going to miss eating lunch with all the women engineers in the office! I never knew there were so many before I worked here. Hopefully they will let me still go to Girl’s Night Out with them. Anyway, it’s a great company and they have been really generous and fair with me. For example, they paid for my insurance and Isaac’s insurance for my whole 12 week maternity leave, knowing I wasn’t coming back. So if you ever need engineering services, try them first: http://www.larsonengr.com/.

Since Blake still has three years left of school, we really can’t afford to have no income. But we’ve decided we’d rather regret making less money than regret missing these early formative years in our kids’ lives. So we will take out more loans and maybe some day I will go back to work, but we’re not going to worry about that any time soon. Elder Ballard gave a great talk about staying home with your kids right before I had Isaac. It really inspired me, especially this: “It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes.” To read it, click here.

3 comments:

Camille said...

Good for you! It was hard to leave teaching as well, but at the same time, I wouldn't miss being home with Christian for the world! I have never looked back. :)

jeremiah said...

Oh yes definitely, the next time I happen to be in the market for a good concrete canoe, I will be giving Larson a call.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you get to stay home with cute Isaac. Our renters had a baby 2 months ago and they are sending him to daycare so she can go back to work. It makes me so sad to think about this cute little baby at daycare all day. Isaac is one lucky little boy to get to hang out with you all day!!